If the advertising annoys you, sign in to Wikidot and it goes away (or install Adblock Plus on Firefox).
This wiki collects and catalogues the world's shareable resources: works that can be copied and shared without breaking the law. Some of these works can be adapted and altered and some can be sold. Works that can be duplicated and adapted for profit or for free are called libre works and they are given special priority.
How to stay up-to-date with the FOSsil Bank
- This site has a web feed (RSS feed) of new pages added to this site. Get it here.
- Every few weeks I publish a FOSsil Bank update with all the new entries on the site. You can get it on the Living Libre blog (or via the Living Libre web feed), or by subscribing to the FOSsil Bank mailing list
How To Use This Site
- Get Stuff without Paying for It: The majority of shareable resources (though not all of them) are available for free download.
- Get Stuff You Can Use: If you're writing a book, maybe you want to illustrate it. If you're composing a song, maybe you want another song to remix. Most of the things on this site can be shared and adapted non-commercially — many of them can be shared and adapted commercially. See Using This Stuff for more details.
- Contribute: If you find something under a shareable resource licence, add an entry on it to the wiki. See the tutorial for assistance. Please also add information to existing entries. There's also a list of jobs.
- Get in Touch: If you find a work that you can't or won't add to the wiki or if you have any comments to make, please enter them on our feedback form.
How Not To Use This Site
- This site is not an explanation of what libre is, why it matters or how to use it. For that, see Living Libre.
- This site is not a place for comment or discussion. For that, see Living Libre.
Complete List of Works and Sources
A list of all works, sources and supplements on this site.
- ... in Spaaace! ● Zany space adventures powered by the Token Effort system.
- 100 CC BY Hits ● A hundred libre songs.
- 13th Age ● 'This is the home of the 13th Age / Archmage Engine system reference document. It contains all the open content from the 13th Age RPG – the Archmage Engine.'
- 2012 Holiday Giving Guide ● 'The gifts in the left column respect your freedom much more than those in the right column.'
- 2012 Libre Gift Guide ● 'A list of libre things that one might enjoy receiving from one's acquaintances at upcoming gift-giving occasions.'
- 2013 Open Source Calendar ● 'Featuring all your favourite Open Source Heroes and Heroines, these are some of the people who have done most to exemplify or further the cause of a more open, collaborative or more freedom-conscious approach to working, thinking and licensing.'
- 3: Unnatural Encounters ● Contemporary, surreal horror where the highest goal is surviving more or less intact.
- 365 Sketches ● A blog with a new sketch each day.
- 4C System ● A supers retroclone.
- 4CC ● A superhero RPG.
- 4SRD ● A project to closely clone D&D 4E.
- 6d6 RPG ● A universal RPG.
- A Byte Of Python ● '"A Byte of Python" is a free book on programming using the Python language. It serves as a tutorial or guide to the Python language for a beginner audience.'
- A+ Fantasy ● A fantasy RPG.
- A Free, Libre & Open Glossary ● A definition of terms like 'open source', 'crowdsourcing', 'gratis' and 'shareable content'.
- A Guide to Open Content Licenses ● What it says.
- A Mathematical Way To Think about Biology ● 'A mathematical way to think about biology comes to life in this lavishly illustrated video book.'
- A Spark in Fate Core ● 'This is an expansion of the (soon to be) award winning Fate Core, focussing on the process of collaborative world building. It includes some of the concepts found in The Spark RPG and helps you build an engaging setting with a history, fraught with danger and potential for growth.'
- A Story of Healing ● The first CC licensed Academy Award winning film.
- A Survey about Copyright in the Digital Age ● A survey about people's conception of copyright.
- A Vessel For Offering ● 'Hard boiled pseudo-Lovecraftian space noir with squishy (and doomed, of course) romantic bits.'
- A Wanderer's Romance ● A game of earth, air, fire, water and balance.
- A Wind At The Window ● 'A horror story concerning blasphemous marks in the snow of a Finnish winter, the college students it threatens, and the American veteran who may know more than he tells.'
- A World of Fire and Sand ● A freeform game inspired by Dark Sun.
- Abtruse Goose ● A webcomic.
- Abulafia ● A collection of random concept and word generators for story gamers.
- Accessibility, Sustainability, Excellence ● '[R]ecommends a programme of action to enable more people to read and use the publications arising from research.'
- Achieving Impossible Things ● 'Six "impossible things": GNU/Linux, Wikipedia, the Creative Commons, the Blender Foundation, Open Hardware, and the OLPC/Sugar project. All created under free licenses for everyone to use, in defiance of our conventional ideas of business economics. Is it magic, coincidence, or just plain common sense at work here?'
- Action! System ● "The Action! System Core Rules provide all of the basic rules necessary to create and play a role-playing game. Create adventures and characters based on your favorite movies, TV shows or novels."
- Acts Of The Apostles ● 'In 1990, hardware engineer Todd Griffith is shot after discovering a secret function in a computer chip. Years later, Todd’s best friend Nick stumbles onto a conspiracy involving nanomachines, mind control, Gulf War Syndrome and an insane Silicon Valley messiah.'
- Ad Astra ● A science fiction campaign setting.
- Advanced Dungeon Squad ● Liam Brennan takes a shot at improving Dungeon Squad.
- Adventure Squad Abilities ● A supplement for Dungeon Squad from Domino Writing.
- Adventure Squad Core ● A Dungeon Squad hack for adventure games of any time period.
- AdventureLand ● 'AdventureLand is a small, 4 pages RPG [written] in a hurry (about 6 hours) for advanced role-players.'
- Adventurer Conquerer King System ● 'Autarch's Adventurer Conqueror King System fulfills the promise of the original fantasy role-playing game by providing comprehensive, integrated support for play across all levels of a campaign.'
- Adventures In The 41st Millennium ● A modification of Dungeon Squad for the Warhammer 40K universe.
- Adventures Of The Space Patrol ● Retro-Cute Sci-Fi Role-Playing
- Adventures on Dungeon Planet ● 'Adventures on Dungeon Planet is a science fantasy supplement for the award-winning role-playing game Dungeon World.'
- Aerogel.org ● '[A]n encyclopedic reference about aerogels, how-to guides for making aerogels and building a do-it-yourself supercritical dryer, the world's most comprehensive aerogel image gallery, a podcast with the world's leading aerogel scientists, and more.'
- Aetherverse ● 'Aetherverse is a tabletop sci-fi wargame that I first published in 2004. The concept of the game was to create a sort of “universal” rules system that players could use to create and play with armies sourced from any of the many miniatures manufacturers on the market. While this had been done before in a generic sense, I designed the system to build armies that had real character rather than just being a collection of numbers.'
- AfterImage ● A game where you try to prevent an apocalypse.
- Against Intellectual Property ● 'Kinsella [argues] that the very existence of patents are contrary to a free market, and adds in here copyrights and trademarks too.'
- Age of Fable ● An online choose-your-own-adventure story.
- Alchemy ● An electronic sketching program.
- Alchemy System ● A modified d20 game set in its own universe.
- Alien Survivor ● Fight off the alien menace in this Lady Blackbird hack.
- All Right to Copy? ● '"All Right to Copy?" is a resource designed to teach students about copyright, and how it impacts them as both users and creators.'
- All The King's Men ● Back from the Crusades, you must kill the bandit lord Robin Hood.
- Altars & Archetypes ● A dungeoncrawling fantasy role-playing game.
List of Everything
A list of everything on this site.
- Statuses and Licences
- Community Articles
- Genres, Platforms, Engines and Languages
- Works, Sources and Supplements
- Community ● Articles about the libre, common content, open access and copyright minimalist communities.
- Complete List of Codes ● The codes used on this site.
- Engines ● Shared rules or resolution systems.
- Genres ● Works that share a common theme or style of setting.
- Languages ● Languages other than English in which common content works are available.
- List of Everything ● A list of everything on this site.
- List of Everything (Libre Only) ● A list of everything libre on this site.
- Tabletop Games by Licence ● [[tabview]]
- Works, Sources and Supplements ● A list of all works, sources and supplements on this site.
About the Libre Community
- Catching the Waves ● Reviews of gratis and CC-licensed music.
- @ccess ● An OKFN project to encourage libre open access.
- CC-PRO ● A rebranding of the CC BY-SA licence to emphasise its value to professionals.
- Creator-Endorsed Mark ● A way of showing that proceeds from a work go to its creator.
- Day Against DRM ● On the 4th of May, we campaign against Digital Rights Management.
- Definition of Free Cultural Works ● The definition of free cultural works.
- Document Freedom Day ● 30 March is the day to celebrate open document formats and explain how important they are.
- Jenny Everywhere Day ● On the 13th of August, the world celebrates Jenny Everywhere Day!
- Liberated Pixel Cup ● "Liberated Pixel Cup is a two-part competition: make a bunch of awesome free culture licensed artwork, and then program a bunch of free software games that use it."
- LibrePlanet Gaming Collective ● The LibrePlanet Gaming Collective is a group of free software activists organized around their enthusiasm for video games.
- Open Access Week ● A week celebrating open access.
- Open Education Week ● "The purpose of Open Education Week is to raise awareness of the open education movement and its impact on teaching and learning worldwide."
- Public Domain Day ● The 1st of January, when new works enter the public domain.
- The Public Domain Manifesto ● A statement on the value of the public domain.
- The Thousand-Year Game Design Challenge ● A competition to design a game which will last a thousand years.
- Who Needs Access? You Need Access ● An OKFN project to increase open access.
Unless otherwise mentioned, the text of this site is released under the Creative Commons Attribution licence.