A project to crowdfund the application of Creative Commons licensing
Projects take three forms:
- A ransom, where the work is released gratis and under a Creative Commons licence once a funding threshold is met
- A thank you system, where a work is released gratis and under Creative Commons, then donations requested.
- A quasi-ransom method, where paying for the gratis ebook gets you a copy - and reduces the time until the ebook will be released under a Creative Commons licence.
Now the option to sort by licence, including:
- A Byte Of Python ● '"A Byte of Python" is a free book on programming using the Python language. It serves as a tutorial or guide to the Python language for a beginner audience.'
- A Vessel For Offering ● 'Hard boiled pseudo-Lovecraftian space noir with squishy (and doomed, of course) romantic bits.'
- Against Intellectual Property ● 'Kinsella [argues] that the very existence of patents are contrary to a free market, and adds in here copyrights and trademarks too.'
- Archaeology, Anthropology, and Interstellar Communication ● "Addressing a field that has been dominated by astronomers, physicists, engineers, and computer scientists, the contributors to this collection raise questions that may have been overlooked by physical scientists about the ease of establishing meaningful communication with an extraterrestrial intelligence."
- Beginning Titan - The distributed graph database ● "Beginning Titan is a comprehensive guide to Titan database."
- Biodigital ● 'Biodigital is a novel, first published as an Ebook via Unglue.it, about a Silicon Valley tech genius/messiah and the quasi-religious cult of transhumanist computer designers and brain hackers who follow him.'
- Code ● 'cyberspace has no “nature.” It only has code-the software and hardware that make cyberspace what it is. That code can create a place of freedom-as the original architecture of the Net did-or a place of oppressive control. '
- Copyright for Librarians ● '"Copyright for Librarians" (CFL) is an online open curriculum on copyright law that was developed jointly with Harvard’s Berkman Center for Internet and Society.'
- Deep Freeze: Iceland's Economic Collapse ● 'In Deep Freeze, economists Philipp Bagus and David Howden demonstrate that the real cause of the calamity was bad central bank policy.'
- Design Livre ● 'Design Livre is an attitude, a way of conceiving the design and seek a comprehensive and inclusive look, recognizing designs made by people.' (translated from Portuguese)
- Entropy Of Imagination ● 'The inhabitants of this future Web reside in a closed system, where all possible experiences will soon be exhausted. The Web is winding down, falling into stasis. Here, Flatline is a brief infusion of novelty, bringing chaos to the system.'
- Feeding the City ● 'Sara Roncaglia’s study of the fascinating inner workings of the dabbawalas. '
- Forall X: An Introduction To Formal Logic ● 'This text describes two formal languages which have been of special importance to philosophers: truth-functional sentential logic and quantified predicate logic. The book covers translation, formal semantics, and proof theory for both languages.'
- Green Comet ● A sci-fi novel.
- Homotopy Type Theory: Univalent Foundations Of Mathematics ● 'Homotopy type theory is a new branch of mathematics that combines aspects of several different fields in a surprising way.'
- Immersion into Noise ● 'On a planet that is increasingly technologically linked and globally mediated, how might noises break and re-connect in distinctive and productive ways within practices located in the world of art and thought?'
- Introduction to Basic Legal Citation ● US legal citation.
- Introduction to Economic Analysis ● 'This book presents standard intermediate microeconomics material and some material that, in the authors' view, ought to be standard but is not.'
- Light And Matter ● 'This is an introductory text intended for a one-year introductory course of the type typically taken by biology majors, or for AP Physics B.'
- Open Access EBooks ● 'This chapter discusses what Open Access means in the context of e-books, how Open Access e-books can be supported, and the roles that Open Access e-books will play in libraries and in our society.'
- Oral Literature in Africa ● 'First published in 1970 by Oxford University Press, this classic study has been hailed as "the single most authoritative work on oral literature”. It traces the history of story-telling in Africa, and brings to life the diverse forms of creativity across the African continent'
- So You Want to Be a Librarian ● 'Provides information about librarianship as a career, including types of libraries, types of jobs within libraries, professional issues, and educational requirements.'
- The Case for Copyright Reform ● "The book is a compilation of the strongest articles on reform of the copyright monopoly from Christian Engström (MEP) and [Rick Falkvinge]"
- The Classic Short Story, 1870-1925: Theory Of A Genre ● 'In this challenging and far-reaching study, Goyet looks at classic short stories in the context in which they were read at the time: cheap newspapers and higher-end periodicals.'
- The Democracy of Objects ● 'Since Kant, philosophy has been obsessed with epistemological questions pertaining to the relationship between mind and world and human access to objects. In The Democracy of Objects, Bryant proposes that we break with this tradition and once again initiate the project of ontology as first philosophy.'
- The Digital Public Domain ● "[T]he authors argue that the Public Domain — that is, the informational works owned by all of us, be that literature, music, the output of scientific research, educational material or public sector information — is fundamental to a healthy society."
- The GNU C Programming Tutorial ● "This book is a tutorial for the computer programming language C."
- The Psychology of Emotions, Feelings and Thoughts ● "This book makes the statement that thought, action and feeling can occur in any order, it also puts forth the idea that life is divided into three groups, emotion, thinking, and feeling."
- Understanding Changes in Poverty ● "Understanding Changes in Poverty brings together different methods to decompose the contributions to poverty reduction."