This wiki has been replaced by the Free and Open Works wiki
If the advertising annoys you, sign in to Wikidot and it goes away (or install Adblock Plus on Firefox).
This wiki collects and catalogues the world's shareable resources: works that can be copied and shared without breaking the law. Some of these works can be adapted and altered and some can be sold. Works that can be duplicated and adapted for profit or for free are called libre works and they are given special priority.
How to stay up-to-date with the FOSsil Bank
- This site has a web feed (RSS feed) of new pages added to this site. Get it here.
- Every few weeks I publish a FOSsil Bank update with all the new entries on the site. You can get it on the Living Libre blog (or via the Living Libre web feed), or by subscribing to the FOSsil Bank mailing list
How To Use This Site
- Get Stuff without Paying for It: The majority of shareable resources (though not all of them) are available for free download.
- Get Stuff You Can Use: If you're writing a book, maybe you want to illustrate it. If you're composing a song, maybe you want another song to remix. Most of the things on this site can be shared and adapted non-commercially — many of them can be shared and adapted commercially. See Using This Stuff for more details.
- Contribute: If you find something under a shareable resource licence, add an entry on it to the wiki. See the tutorial for assistance. Please also add information to existing entries. There's also a list of jobs.
- Get in Touch: If you find a work that you can't or won't add to the wiki or if you have any comments to make, please enter them on our feedback form.
How Not To Use This Site
- This site is not an explanation of what libre is, why it matters or how to use it. For that, see Living Libre.
- This site is not a place for comment or discussion. For that, see Living Libre.
Complete List of Works and Sources
A list of all works, sources and supplements on this site.
- Altars & Archetypes ● A dungeoncrawling fantasy role-playing game.
- Alternate Dungeon Squad ● A different take on Dungeon Squad by Liam Brennan.
- Always/Never/Now ● A Lady Blackbird-esque RPG.
- Ampersand ● 'My name is Barry Deutsch, and I write and draw Ampersand, a political comic with a generally progressive sensibility.'
- An Anarchist FAQ ● 'This web page holds an anarchist FAQ. Its aim is to present what anarchism really stands for and indicate why you should become an anarchist.'
- An End Like This ● A 'best of' for Learning Music Monthly.
- An Open World ● "This collection offers some of the most enpowering stories from our open source community—and perhaps you could be in the next edition."
- Anchorhold ● A complete RPG setting.
- AncientBeast ● Awesome Turn Based Strategy. Master Your Beasts!
- "and Bake For 15 Minutes" Fudge ● "a simple character creation and brief game play paradigm for Grey Ghost Press's Fudge RPG"
- Anima Prime ● A fast-paced RPG inspired by manga and anime.
- Animalball Melee ● A simplified d20 System for gladiatorial combat.
- Arcemu ● Arcemu is an MMORPG server framework project which currently supports World of Warcraft 3.3.5a
- Archaeology, Anthropology, and Interstellar Communication ● "Addressing a field that has been dominated by astronomers, physicists, engineers, and computer scientists, the contributors to this collection raise questions that may have been overlooked by physical scientists about the ease of establishing meaningful communication with an extraterrestrial intelligence."
- ARDWIN ● A REIGN setting that explores race, genetics and cultural identity. (REIGN Supplement #14)
- Argh! ● modern-day supernatural thriller RPG
- Arkfall ● A World of Dungeons hack that allows you to play post-apoc sci-fi.
- Army Brats ● "Welcome to Fort Biloxi. Your parents have sent you to military school to "help you focus". What could be scarier than military school? How about being one of the new kids? Luckily, you have a cunning plan. You and the other new kids (the other players) are going to try to get expelled so you can go back to public school with all your friends."
- As The Tea Leaves Grow ● Small Toad – youngest student of Master Iron Willow – gave the rarest tea flower in Master Iron Willow's considerable collection to a passing beauty.
- Astral Dreams ● A space opera miniatures wargame.
- Atlas of Living Australia ● 'The Atlas of Living Australia (Atlas) contains information on all the known species in Australia aggregated from a wide range of data providers: museums, herbaria, community groups, government departments, individuals and universities.'
- Aural Tradition ● An album created as part of a copyright course.
- Australian Budget 2012-2013 ● The federal government budget and budget overview for 2012-2013.
- Australian Census 2011 ● 'Census DataPacks contain comprehensive data about people, families and dwellings for all available geographic areas, with associated Geographic Information System digital boundary files.'
- Australian Dress Register ● A collaborative, online project about dress in New South Wales pre 1945.
- Australian Government Intellectual Property Manual ● Government guidelines for implementing 'open licensing'.
- Awen ● A fantasy RPG.
- Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut ●
- Backswords & Bucklers ● Fantasy dungeoncrawling in Elizabethan England.
- Bad Attitudes ● An action movie RPG.
- Bad Habits ● A Fiasco playset about backstabbing nuns.
- BADASS ● An RPG of high octane action.
- Badgerbrough Inquisitive ● Information about a fantasy world, in the form of a newspaper.
- Bajjutsu Master ● A parlour game where you 'fight' your enemies.
- Balloon Diaspora ● 'Balloon Diaspora is a 3D point-and-click adventure game with music by Oliver Blank. Explore a foreign culture, make new friends and ride through the clouds in a hot air balloon.'
- Balloon Mapping Kit ● 'Once assembled, this kit -- developed by community researchers from the Public Laboratory for Open Technology and Science -- enables you to collect your own aerial photos from up to 1000 ft.'
- Balloon Suite ● Music for the computer game Balloon Diaspora.
- Bank Robbery LARP ● A LARP about bank robbery which doesn't quite work.
- Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game ● A fusion of Basic D&D with D&D 3E to create a simple, light-weight game.
- Battle for Wesnoth ● 'The Battle for Wesnoth is a Free, turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme, featuring both single-player, and online/hotseat multiplayer combat.'
- Beast Hunters ● Tattooed hunters of beasts use their fiendish blood for sorcery.
- Beginning Titan - The distributed graph database ● "Beginning Titan is a comprehensive guide to Titan database."
- Beowulf: A Translation ● A modern translation.
- Bhaloidam ● 'Tell Stories & Play Games with your Tribe'
- BibServer ● 'BibServer is a tool for quickly and easily sharing collections of bibliographic metadata.'
- Big Buck Bunny ● A whimsical movie where three rodents get their just deserts.
- Big Buck Bunny Loves Creative Commons ● Why Creative Commons matters.
- Big Island ● A game where you protect island inhabitants from skeletons.
- Biodigital ● 'Biodigital is a novel, first published as an Ebook via Unglue.it, about a Silicon Valley tech genius/messiah and the quasi-religious cult of transhumanist computer designers and brain hackers who follow him.'
- Blackbird Pie ● A semi-open, generic Hackbird.
List of Everything
A list of everything on this site.
- Statuses and Licences
- Community Articles
- Genres, Platforms, Engines and Languages
- Works, Sources and Supplements
- Community ● Articles about the libre, common content, open access and copyright minimalist communities.
- Complete List of Codes ● The codes used on this site.
- Engines ● Shared rules or resolution systems.
- Genres ● Works that share a common theme or style of setting.
- Languages ● Languages other than English in which common content works are available.
- List of Everything ● A list of everything on this site.
- List of Everything (Libre Only) ● A list of everything libre on this site.
- Tabletop Games by Licence ● [[tabview]]
- Works, Sources and Supplements ● A list of all works, sources and supplements on this site.
About the Libre Community
- Catching the Waves ● Reviews of gratis and CC-licensed music.
- @ccess ● An OKFN project to encourage libre open access.
- CC-PRO ● A rebranding of the CC BY-SA licence to emphasise its value to professionals.
- Creator-Endorsed Mark ● A way of showing that proceeds from a work go to its creator.
- Day Against DRM ● On the 4th of May, we campaign against Digital Rights Management.
- Definition of Free Cultural Works ● The definition of free cultural works.
- Document Freedom Day ● 30 March is the day to celebrate open document formats and explain how important they are.
- Jenny Everywhere Day ● On the 13th of August, the world celebrates Jenny Everywhere Day!
- Liberated Pixel Cup ● "Liberated Pixel Cup is a two-part competition: make a bunch of awesome free culture licensed artwork, and then program a bunch of free software games that use it."
- LibrePlanet Gaming Collective ● The LibrePlanet Gaming Collective is a group of free software activists organized around their enthusiasm for video games.
- Open Access Week ● A week celebrating open access.
- Open Education Week ● "The purpose of Open Education Week is to raise awareness of the open education movement and its impact on teaching and learning worldwide."
- Public Domain Day ● The 1st of January, when new works enter the public domain.
- The Public Domain Manifesto ● A statement on the value of the public domain.
- The Thousand-Year Game Design Challenge ● A competition to design a game which will last a thousand years.
- Who Needs Access? You Need Access ● An OKFN project to increase open access.
Unless otherwise mentioned, the text of this site is released under the Creative Commons Attribution licence.